Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, Realtor, 26 years landlord
19958803
Type Your Question Here...

How long can something negative stay on your credit report

How long can something negative stay on your credit report before you can request to have it removed? How would you go about requesting to having it removed? Does it depend on what state you live? I live in the state of PA.

Thank you
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, negative entries on someone's credit report typically stay for 7 years with bankruptcies being reported for up to 10 years. If an entry is older than 7 years, you can file a formal dispute with the three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Transunion and Experian) and request that they be removed. They will investigate the dispute and if the entry is older than 7 years (excluding bankruptcies) then they have 30 days to remove the entry.
.
The specific law is 15 U.S.C. §1681c § 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports.
.
It is not state dependent as this is a federal law and applies evenly to all states.
.
.
Thanks