Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Is there a best practices guideline for when to use qualitative

Is there a best practices guideline for when to use qualitative research vs quantitative? Not a definition of what each of these comprise but more of a check list to go through to decide which is a better method for a given project?
Hello and welcome.

Personally i use quantitative when i want to see a direction or a trend from the data. I use qualitative when i want to understand the data to a deep level. So the quantitative give me theories ideas while the qualitative help me to validate/invalidate those theories.

You also have to consider the cost. Depending on the type of research, usually quantitative cost more (not always the case).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are there any published articles that explain the same? Maybe like a list of questions one can go thru to decide?

You can use that document:

I am not in accord with many points in this, but that is part of what a tool is. You can use a tool the way you want. In fact you can do a qualitative AND quantitative study at the same time.