Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

It seems that in print books, you are supposed to NOT indent

It seems that in print books, you are supposed to NOT indent the first paragraph of a chapter. However, what happens when the first sentence of a chapter is dialogue? When the first line of dialogue is not indented it looks weird. Is there a rule for this?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help with your question today.

The rule for this is that yes, every line of dialogue, except the first line in every chapter should be indented. Here is additional information: Dialogue indentation

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

can you please send another reference that URL you sent is not working, thanks

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,

I'm sorry that link isn't working. I'm trying to find you another. Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,

I'm so sorry; that was a perfect reference and now, it won't load for me either. There must be something wrong with the link at this time.

I copied and pasted this for you, because this is where I found it, but the actual page had more suggestions re: properly formatting a book:

"Veronica Heley: How to Write: Checklist for the First Page

www.veronicaheley.com/howtowritefirstpage.php?l2=72&l1=7‎
Type in the title of the book, author and page number, like this: MURDER AT THE ALTAR Veronica ... Every line of dialogue (except the first line in every section or chapter) should be indented. It follows that the first line in every ... Interrupted speech is written like this 'If you want to know what –' And the next line is written like ..."
-----------------------------------------

I'm having trouble locating another resource stating this, but please let me know if this is not sufficient and I will keep on searching. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.
Hello again,

I tried that link again and this time, it did open, so hopefully, it will open for you, too:

http://www.veronicaheley.com/howtowritefirstpage.php?l2=72&l1=7

Please let me know if you found this information helpful, and if so, please take a moment to rate my answer positively, as that is the only way I receive credit for my work and expertise. Thank you! Laughing

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist