Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I recently sent an e-mail to all health staff in my department

I recently sent an e-mail to all health staff in my department telling them how much I appreciate them and all they put up with and still get their jobs done. Nowhere in the e-mail did I mentioned any names. Apparently one nurse who had a guilty conscience reported to my supervisor she found it offensive and ask me to apologize to her. All information in the e-mail was true but no names mentioned, this information was relayed to my supervisor by me in a mini conference, plus the fact that the few problems mentioned in the e-mail was ongoing over a period of time and not related to any one occasion or person. All the staff supported me and praised me for showing my appreciation for my Technicians except this one person, in fact three nurses asked me was I referring to them. So how can this one person go to my supervisor and the both of them rush to a conclusion that it was offensive to this one person? The supervisor forwarded the e-mail to everyone claiming e-mails such as this are considered demeaning and offensive. Am I missing something here? I plan to defend this in a private meeting with her. Do I have a foot to stand on? My evals are approaching. The e-mail follows...
Allow me a moment to inform you how much the Pharmacy appreciates their contract Pharmacy Technicians. First, they are always on time, they have an attendance record better than most of us, and most of all they have a clear understanding of rules, roles and responsibilities central to their skills and duties. They also go beyond these parameters by ensuring the pharmacy common area (the area everyone uses) is clean which includes emptying trash at least once daily and taking out food garbage that you leave over the weekends or maybe your crushed tablets all over the carpet, or worst used insulin syringes you forget to take out of your insulin bags and must I say, inventory miscount of needle and syringes. (I’ll stop there). Yes, I appreciate my technicians for all they put up with including me sometimes, but please don’t take them for granted. They sometimes discover your errors or oversights and mind too. They’re always willing to share a hot pot of coffee and maybe some sweet buns on the side every morning. They’re not perfect but who is? But I appreciate them for the good I see in them and their hard work. I depend on them and realize it would be very difficult to run the pharmacy without them.

So please if you discover they forgot to fill 15 or 20 patient’s bags, know that they worked through several of their lunch breaks to fill at least a thousand doses so that you may have meds over the weekend last week without me telling them (remember this was once done by nurses before Techs were hired). Are they bitter because their contract was changed from an eight to six hour day? NO, but their making every attempt to complete all that was done in eight hours in six. Yes, I appreciate my technicians!

So if you notice some imperfections please be forgiving we all can’t be perfect like you just notice some good sometime and say thanks.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Bill and welcome back to Just Answer!

Thanks very much for requesting me to answer your question.

Honestly, I think your intentions were very good and you intended for this to be a compliment and to show appreciation to your employees, but some of what you said 'could' be interpreted as not so complimentary, so I understand why this one employee could have taken this in the wrong way. However, you can explain to your supervisor that your only intentions in writing this to your staff was to compliment them and you see nothing offensive about it. Perhaps certain items could have been phrased slightly differently, and you realize this, now, but it was certainly meant to compliment your staff and show them your appreciation for going above and beyond the call of duty in their department.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist