Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I need help figuring out how to organize my room its very

I need help figuring out how to organize my room

its very cluttered and I cant seem to focus on organizing one part at a time
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help with your question today.

What are you trying to organize, a bedroom, dorm room, livingroom?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cher

I'm Robin

I"m trying to organize my bedroom
but I'm not very good at organizing so it doesnt look cluttered

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi again, Robin and thanks for your helpful reply; Also, thanks for your patience, as I had a lot to say! : )

It's nice to 'meet' you! Laughing

What you need for good organization is the proper 'tools'. For example, if you don't already have any, getting a few sets of those clear plastic (or any color you like) stackable 'drawers', or one unit with 2, 3, or 4 drawers attached, will help you keep folded clothing or other essentials in them. Also, having a couple of hooks on the back of your door ('Command' hooks with adhesive that doesn't leave a mark when removed), will help store your robe, handbag or other items, out of your way.

The first thing to do is find a place for the 'clutter' and then you can start cleaning things out and tossing or donating what you no longer wear, need and placing the things you're keeping in a good and easily accessible place. If you don't already have some or too few, you can put up vinyl covered shelves of different lengths in your closet and also get those multiple 'hangers' you may have seen advertised on tv. They sell that sort of stuff in stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target, Walmart, etc. You can also get some storage containers of varying sizes by Rubbermaid or even a less expensive 'no name' brand and if you don't have a platform bed, but have under bed storage space, they make big, shallow containers for that area.

Your main objective is to get as much as possible off the floor or from around the room, and into 'receptacles', on shelves and on hooks. You can also get a storage chest or storage ottoman to keep winter/summer linens, blankets and/or clothing (or anything you like) in them, when not in use.

Make a list of the areas you want to concentrate on (closet, drawers, night tables, etc.) and choose one to do until it's finished. I know when you're re-arranging/organizing, it's difficult to stay on task and you get distracted and start cleaning out something else, but if you concentrate and have the right organizing tools at hand, before you start, that should help.

I wish you much good luck and success! Please let me know how things are going. Thanks!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cher

it's very nice to meet you too Smile

I forgot to mention in my earlier question I don't have a closet nd its just a bedroom with a small hole in the wall for boxes but its full of boxes from when we moved here

thanks so much

Robin

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.
Hi again, Robin and thanks for your reply.

Ok, I understand how much more difficult this will be without a real closet, but you can still use most of the organizing tools I suggested, and for your hanging clothes, you can buy a small 'wardrobe', if you have room in your room for it, or you can buy a clothes 'rack' that will be visible, but off to the side, out of the way and if you can get on with a flat top, you can store things up there, too (not heavy things, obviously). I'm assuming you have furniture like a dresser with drawers, etc., but if not, those stackable plastic units are great. I have several. Aim to get everything out of the boxes and into the areas/receptacles you need them in. If there is another closet in the house you can use for your hanging clothes, do that.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cher,

thank you so much for your advice
I want to give a really good rating but I dont want to close the question completely yet

is there a way I can give you a good rating but still ask you questions if I need them?

thanks, Robin

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi again, Robin and you're most welcome.

It's my pleasure to be of help to you!

You can rate my answer now and it will not cut off our communication; you can continue to ask follow up questions at no charge, at any time. Just click 'Reply' on the question to reach me again.

I appreciate your intent to rate my answer positively! Thanks! : )

Best regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.

Hi again, Robin and thanks very much for your excellent rating and most generous bonus; they are truly appreciated!

Remember, I'll always be here for you if you have additional questions. Just make sure to begin your reply or new question with 'For Cher Only' so other experts know it is meant for me. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher

PS: please disregard the automatic site prompts for additional information, as none is needed at this time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cher

your very welcome
thank you so much for your advice
I will stay in touch and start organizing/ cleaning tomorrow after I purchase clear containers and a door hanger

Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.
Hi again, Robin and you're most welcome!

That sounds like a great plan and I know you'll be successful at it, if you have the right tools and just concentrate on one 'area' at a time!

Warmest regards,
Cher