Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

I am self employed and I purchased health insurance for my

I am self employed and I purchased health insurance for my wife and I about 6 years ago. It is a major medical plan with a $10,000 deductible. I also purchase a couple of Ryder polices for accident and critical illness to cover the first $10,000. The policy pays 100% after the deductible. We pay approximately $700/month premiums. Should I change to one of the exchanges available next week, Should I shop for a better policy, or do nothing?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a general specialist and would like to assist you with your dilemma.

Do you have any pre existing medical issues?

Have you checked around with any other insurance companies for a lower deductible?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My wife and I are healthy; not taking any regular meds. We get physicals once a year etc. I am 62 and my wife is 63. At age 42 I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine. My weight is 199 and I am 5'10".

I have checked other major medical plans and they are about the same price.

With the new insurance directives coming out you may be able to get a better price for insurance with much lower deductibles and catastrophic illness. There is a lot of controversy and most of the policies will not go into full effect until January of 2014. What I suggest is that you check into the Government website here: which will help you to see if there is some lower cost insurance available, that would meet your needs. You will need to in put the information they require and they will help to see what is available in your state and if it will meet your needs. It does not cost anything to check other than your time and may save you some money. If you find that they do not have anything that will work for you and your wife, you still have your current policy in place. Please let me know if you have further questions. I have had to go the route of finding insurance because of pre existing conditions and found shopping around really saved me money. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I heard there were limits restrictions associated with the exchanges. When you can sign in. If you don't Sign up by a certain date that you cannot sign uopfor another year...etc, etc. Do you know what the restrictions and limitations are?

The link I gave you above I believe has the time lines, and restrictions. I can tell you that someone who has a pre existing condition will not be penalized by paying a higher premium. The actual plan does not go into full effect until January, 2014. I did find that October 1 is the first date you can sign up; enrollment ends March 31, 2014. I hope this helps. I am not well versed on the restrictions. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX forward my question to a health Insurance expert? Thanks again for your help, but I could find these answers through google myself. I am looking for an expert that has been briefed by their industry and special training and or meetings.

I will opt out and see if someone else can assist you. We do not have an insurance category, but maybe one of our legal Experts can assist you. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Joan, You have been courteous and given me good general advice. I will rate you as such. Did not know there was no insurance category.