matt50025002
matt50025002, M.B.A.
Experience:  Through my many years of life and learning, I have become wise beyond my years.
Type Your Question Here...

I recently purchased 30 ton of hay. It was supposed to be

I recently purchased 30 ton of hay. It was supposed to be delivered the end of July. One load was brought and the farmer didnt want to bring anymore until the road was worked. In the meantime, we had a substantial amount of rain and it got moldy. He chose to bring the rest yesterday when we received a lot more rain and snow...we could not tarp it because it was wet from the first rain/mold. Now the majority of our hay is ruined for feeding horses. It is $200 a ton. Can I turn this into my homeowners insurance?
Category: General
Expert:  matt50025002 replied 10 months ago.

matt50025002 :

i would like to answer your question

Customer:

ok?

matt50025002 :

are you online

Customer:

yes

matt50025002 :

ok, did you try calling your homeowners insurance

Customer:

not yet

matt50025002 :

Every insurance company is different, the first thing i would do is call the company to find out if you have a claim

Customer:

ok, i will.

matt50025002 :

Ok, do that first, see what answer you receive, if they do not cover the cost of the ruined hay. There is some other ways that you can try to at least get some of your money back.

matt50025002 :

I checked further into your problem. I found no insurances that will cover your loss. You can try to get some of the money back from the people you bought it from, if you explain the situation to them. Do you have round bells or square bales? Usually, you can just peel the top layer off that is filled with mold and use the rest. But with horses, they may colic, or founder. You can also try to sell your damaged hay bales to someone with beef cows, The beef cows can eat the inside layers of hay that were not effected by the mold.

matt50025002 :

did you recieve the rest of my answer.

Customer:

Thank you. It is down into the stack pretty far. We will try talking to the farmer.

matt50025002, M.B.A.
Experience: Through my many years of life and learning, I have become wise beyond my years.