Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

My Niece was hoping to start radiography degree this year,

My Niece was hoping to start radiography degree this year, but unfortunately did not get the grades required(English C C History B) She is now thinking of resitting next year hoping for a higher grade to gfet on the course next year, taking a gap year and try to find a job, latter proving difficult. I have advised here to look at alternative courses such asw law,psychology or teaching as no gurantee she will get the grades. What would you advise?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Hyacinth and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What type of degree is your niece seeking in radiography? Is it on a University level (a 2 or 4 year degree)? I ask this, because it seems that she started taking what we call 'core' courses like English and History which are necessary for any degree, and then usually the student will begin taking the course for intensive study in their 'major' (radiography).

Taking a gap year sounds like a good idea, as it will give her a chance to study more and to get an income if she is lucky enough to find a position, which you mentioned has been difficult.

Your suggestions to her regarding studying for alternative professions are good, but the main question is, what is she interested in? Is she interested in studying psychology, law or teaching? She's still going to have to take the same 'core' courses for any course of study before getting into the 'meat' of the profession she would like to pursue.

Is it possible for her to do an internship or get a job with a company that does radiography or one that is involved in 'life sciences', if she has a desire to go into the medical field, if that's what interests her? If so, then that might be a good place to start to get more knowledge before actually beginning her course of study and to see if this subject matter is really and truly what she would like to do. There are also many facets to radiography, like doing echocardiograms of the heart, ultrasounds of different types or only on pregnant women, there's pediatric radiography and many more. Is she interested in doing the actual tests, or only reading the films and making diagnoses?

The main point for her to focus on now, is to choose if she would like to study a different subject and pursue another vocation or stick with the radiography.

I wish your niece the best of luck, no matter what she chooses, and you are a very good auntie to try to help her!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would it be worth her while to resit the A level exams next year and would private tuition help her achieve the grades?

The radiography couse is a 4yr degree. had provitional acceptance in London, exeter and portsmouth.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Hyacinth and thanks very much for your helpful reply.

I'm in the USA, so I'm not sure what Form 6 is, which you mentioned in your previous question. Is your niece still in secondary school and applying for University for next year, to study radiography?

You mentioned 'private tuition'; did you mean private tutoring?

What are the provisions of the acceptance in London, Exeter, and Portsmouth? That she has higher grades in English and History?

Is she applying or planning to go to a school that specializes in radiography only, or that has a variety of courses?

I do believe that she would be at an advantage if she were to get private tutoring in the subjects that caused her the most problems and then resit for the A level exams next year.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has finish high school and was hoping to start the degree course this September/october pending successful grades as required. was successful at the iniatial interview/entrance test give and offered placement provitonally pending her results. She was hoping to attend the university specializing in radiography.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Hyacinth and thanks for your reply with additional information.

It sounds like she received the grades of 'C' in English and History on the entrance test? Did they tell her those grades were too low for admittance? If so, I would go back to the plan I suggested (and you mentioned) in my previous answer and have her get some private tutoring in these subjects so she can do better on the entrance exams next year and find a job in the meantime, either related or unrelated to her desired field (radiography). Working in a doctor's office or hospital as an assistant may be of interest to her. If she may be interested in pursuing one of the other suggestions you made re: occupation, getting a job as a teacher's assistant, etc., may also be helpful. If she needs a job of any sort, it doesn't have to be limited to these options, and although she's had a problem in the past finding a suitable job, she can keep looking and I'm sure she'll find something. Even being a 'mother's helper', watching children for working parents during the day or babysitting at night might be a good idea.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs