Kaleisha
Kaleisha, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have been working as an independent contractor answering research questions with over 98% accuracy for over 3 years.
14170205
Type Your Question Here...

im thinking about selling one of our cars which is starting

i'm thinking about selling one of our cars which is starting to run up costs for repairs - as it's got about 140,000 m on it.

I would be happy to let someone take the car to a mechanic to check out - but what's the best way to do this so I'm protected against theft, liability, etc.?
Category: General
Expert:  Kaleisha replied 1 year ago.

Kaleisha :

Customer:

hi

Customer:

are you still there?

Kaleisha :

Yes I am still here, I am responding to your question. Give me one moment.

Customer:

ok thx

Customer:

i'll check back in a bit

Kaleisha :

This is could be a problem. You definitely want to make sure that you are protected. You don't want his guy to run off with your car. You have a few different options. If you believe he is a serious buyer, then ask for a cash deposit (refundable of course) and two forms of ID. Have him sign an agreement saying he will return the car by a certain time. If he doesn't you can call the cops and you have all his information. Or you can go with him to the mechanic. That way you know he will bring it back. Lastly, you can pay for a full vehicle inspection yourself and present it to your customer to see if that will convince him that the car is in good shape.

Kaleisha :

Sorry it took me so long. I hope this helps. :)

Customer:

ok - thanks for the prompt response

Kaleisha :

You are very welcome. Is this your first time selling a car privately?

Customer:

no... but haven't done so in years -- i usually trade in at dealer so no problems... but this time i believe i'll get far more privately then at a dealer... plus i don't want to buy a used car from a dealer.... they tend to be too expensive for what we're looking to buy / spend

Kaleisha :

You have a point there. You tend to get more money selling your vehicle privately than at a dealership. I have sold several cars privately. I only had one guy insist on getting the car inspected before the purchase. I suggested exactly what I just told you. A deposit and two forms of ID. Eventually, he ended up asking the mechanic to come to my home to view the car. Maybe that is also an option. Mechanics often make house calls.

Kaleisha, Internet Researcher
Experience: I have been working as an independent contractor answering research questions with over 98% accuracy for over 3 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks again... bye

Expert:  Kaleisha replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Paul, Have a great day.
Kaleisha, Internet Researcher
Expert:  Kaleisha replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,

How is it going with the car? Did your potential customer get it inspected by a mechanic? Did he buy it?