Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

What is the average amount a person spends on a gift during

What is the average amount a person spends on a gift during the holiday season? I would greatly appreciate links to support the answer..
Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

An average of $854 for gifts during the 2012 holiday season was reported by the study of the American Research Group.

Here is the amounts spent since 2002 as reported in each years study. You can see that the economy has a say in terms of spending on gifts each holiday season:

According to an article released by MSN in December 2011, American parents planned to spend an average of $271 per child in Christmas gifts:

A category breakdown from just a few years ago can give you an idea of what to spend per gift per person: