Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Michael, since you are an expert for both the General category

Michael, since you are an expert for both the General category and the Job category, and this question is a little of both, I think you are the perfect expert for this question: How can one deal with a job that requires working alone on the weekend and where there have been a lot of break-ins and there is danger of intruder alerts, and the employer refuses to hire security guards/night watchmen? They think it's a waste of money and overkill. Thank you.
Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Thank you for the request and contacting me on such an important question. Reading what the situation is that you are dealing with is upsetting and something that no employee should have to deal with.

I would first recommend collecting a detailed overview of the amount of break-ins within your organization. Gather crime statistics in your part of town which is available from the local police station and/or city government website. You can then put together a detailed report to present to your employer with the facts that a security guard/watchmen is necessary.

The Houston Chronicle has a terrific business section and I always refer to their experience on matters in the business world. Linked here is a very good explanation to present to your employer on why having a security guard is a benefit to business: