Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
26798026
Type Your Question Here...

I have changed my name on my social security card. How do

I have changed my name on my social security card. How do I change my name on my drivers license. I have moved from Pa. to Ga. (about 4 months ago) Do I have to apply for a new license here in my new state?? What about voter registration? etc.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Georgia law requires that a person obtain a Georgia driver's license within 30 days of becoming a resident. If you have moved to Georgia with the intent of remaining there indefinitely (that is, with no plan to leave at a certain time or when a certain event occurs), then that makes you a Georgia resident. To obtain a driver's license in your new name, you would take your PA license, your new SS card, documentation showing the name change (usually a marriage license or copy of a judgment), your passport or birth certificate and documentation showing your current address. Here is more information on acceptable identification documentation:
http://www.dds.ga.gov/secureid/accepteddocs.aspx

The state allows residents to register to vote as part of the process of getting a driver's license. That means that the registration will automatically reflect the name on your driver's license. Once you have your new driver's license, you'll be able to use it to change your name on other things, like bank accounts and credit cards.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.