Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

how do i counteract the bitter taste of garlic in a stew?

Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Adding the potatoes was a good idea; this is usually used to absorb too much salt in the dish, but could work with absorbing the bitterness, or cutting it down, also.

In addition, you can try to counteract the bitterness of the garlic by adding a small amount of 'sweet', like honey or sugar, but just a little bit, as you don't want your stew to have a major sweet flavor.

The bitter flavor of the garlic could have come from it being too old, having a green sprout in the middle, or sautéeing too long, if you did this before adding to the stew.

I hope this stew will be salvagable and taste great!

If you have further questions, please click 'Reply' before rating and I will be happy to help you further. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would your respond be different if the bitterness was caused by green tomatoes (tomatillos)?

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Green tomatoes and tomatillos are basically two different things (tomatillos are usually tart/sour), but yes, my response would be the same, if this is where the bitterness is coming from--to add a bit of 'sweet' with honey and/or sugar to counteract the bitterness or sourness. Adding some chicken or beef broth, might also help. You said you added Knorr chicken flavoring, but was that in powder form or the concentrated flavoring in the little plastic 'cups'? If so, try adding some broth along with the sweet.

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used the powder Knorr

wat is the difference between green tomatoes and tomatillo?

Hi again, and thanks for your reply about the Knorr product you used.

Green tomatoes are unripened red tomatoes. Tomatillos, although in the tomato family (with tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and potatoes), is not unripened. The tastes are different and the main difference is that the tomatillo comes in a papery 'husk', while the tomato doesn't. Here is more information: Tomato/Tomatillo

They are also used for different purposes in cooking, as the tomatillo is quite tart/sour. It is used mainly in green sauces and salsas, after being cooked down and pureed.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

great! thank you.

that is exactly what I made: chile verde

I boiled the tomatillos with the onion, garlic and a chile

then I pureed them in the blender

I was surprised by the bitterness

the potatoes and flavoring did the trick

I will a teaspoon of honey

Hi again, and you're most welcome!

When you said 'stew', I just assumed you were making a beef or chicken stew! : )

Chile verde is great! So glad the potatoes and flavoring helped cut the bitterness and you will add a tsp. of honey as well!

Enjoy your chile verde!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist