Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

I have an Associates Degree in Applied Science, Major in "Electronics

I have an Associates Degree in Applied Science, Major in "Electronics Engineering Tech" from years ago. I want to now get a Bachelors Degree (and perhaps a Masters Degree after that). I currently work in the IT field and most of the online degrees I see (from accredited schools only please) focus on IT degrees. However, my degree courses were mostly in Electronics (Circuit Design, Microprocessor programming, etc...) but I also have a fairly good foundation in the mathematics (Physics, Trigonometry, Calculus).

I am looking to obtain a B.S. in as short a time as possible. What BS programs would likely accept a transfer of most of my electronics course work credits?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I followed the same path as yourself (going to electrical engineering. None of the credits are transferable, they are just not of the same level. Sometime when the work experience is solid enough, B.S. program will take someone without a prior Associates Degree, but a all B.S. programs require going trough them fully.

I personally think that IT is a dead end as far as diploma goes. the field change too fast and if you don't find a job right after the diploma simply become worthless. Engineering diploma only matter if you want sound fundamental basis, and even then, the field change quite fast. The best for IT worker that want to get better is to make the employer pay for certification program and university course as the need arrive internally in the company. That way you keep up with the field and continue to have revenue without having to study 3-4 years living on peanut butter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I re-read my question, and realized that I wasn't clear. I am not seeking a BS degree in Engineering - I am seeking a BS degree in IT. Most of the positions in the IT field require at least a Bachelors degree (plus certifications!) and in today's economy, I am trying to be as marketable as possible. BTW, it may depend on what area of the country you are in, but I am on the East Coast and a degree certainly makes you much more competitive on the job market out here.

I am looking then, for online accredited universities that are likely to allow me to transfer in some (if not all) of my engineering credits TOWARDS a degree in IT.

What schools have Bachelor's degree programs in IT that are likely to accept a transfer of credits from my Associates Degree (major electronics)?

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.
Sadly, like i said none of the electronic or physic can count. They are at a whole higher level. At the university i frequented the BS in IT require:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etsmtl.ca%2FProgrammes-Etudes%2F1er-cycle%2FBac%2F7070%23CoursASuivre
The ones you want to have equivalent recognized are in the general courses sections. Those are lot more advanced than the one i did prior to university. If i just take the Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics course, it cover all the previous science course i got and resume them in 10 min! and then the meat pounding start for real. the chemical course covered crystal lattice structure, metal ore processing, craft paper pulp production, fruits chemical protection, urban water treatment and i pass many other. It was really thick.

You have more chance to get the more IT related courses credited than any general ones (again if the work experience support it). But even for that it would need a special case approval by the rector (no university will promise or advertise anything on those special measure). Thing like c++ or database can perhaps be credited (and even then they will argue that you may not do it the "proper" way.

The first job i landed after my study even required every new recruit in their software department to take an additional OO course (paid by the company) just to ensure the level was to their liking.

A university is not a place to learn (it can also be that) it is mainly a certification process. They can't certify anything if you did not pass the exam and for that you need to pay them for the credit. That said, i was already pretty well versed in electromagnetism (studied it a lot before university on my own), so to save time i skipped most of the courses and just showed for the exam and the practical laboratories sessions. All university that i know don't take assistance so you can be a ghost as long as you pay them for the credit and pass the exams with success.

Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting