Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Chocolate Praline CakeI have just made this cake, and it

Chocolate Praline Cake
I have just made this cake, and it totally flopped (made it once a couple of years ago and it was fine!)
It called for:
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 c water
1/4 c cocoa
1/3 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c butter or margerine
2 lg eggs
1/2 tsp salt
It was supposed to make 3 layers, but they each turned out to be only 1/2" high (at the most!) I followed the order of ingredients on the recipe very carefully and baked it as required for 18 - 20 min.
What do you think went wrong?
Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Marian and welcome back to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Oh, how frustrating! This has happened to me before, and I know how you feel! : (

Did the recipe call for any baking powder in addition to baking soda? It sounds like you may have needed more of a leavening agent to make it rise.

Did you mix all the dry ingredients together, first and then the wet ingredients separately, and then combine them?

This looks like your recipe, minus the filling in between the layers:
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/chocolate-praline-cake/

Did you melt the butter with the other ingredients as instructed, or add it cold?

From your description of what happened, it sounds like one of the ingredients may have been missed and/or you measured something incorrectly. Double check the recipe to see that you used all the ingredients in their right proportions. You can try again with this recipe and even add the ganache filling (sounds delicious) between the layers and make your own frosting from the recipe, here, if you had used canned frosting on this one.

I wish you much good luck with your next attempt and please let me know the results. Thanks!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If my answer has been helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rechecked all the ingredients several times, but there was no baking pad called for. Recipe called for an odd sequence of adding wet and dry (like dissolving the cocoa pwd in the cup of water first and then mixing together with the other dry ingredients). Do you suppose that it shouldn't have been mixed so much?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Marian and thanks for your reply.

Did you look at the recipe I included for you, that looks almost exactly like yours, ingredients-wise? That recommends melting the butter with the cocoa and a cup of water. It also includes the ingredients for the chocolate ganache filling within the list of cake ingredients, but if you take away those additions (like with the butter, where it says 'for divided use'), the ingredients seem identical.

It does sound odd to dissolve the cocoa in the cup of water first and then mix together with the other dry ingredients. Overmixing is a definite possibility, as you suggested. You can try again, with this recipe I included and either make the chocolate ganache to go in between the layers or leave it out, it's up to you, but then adjust your butter and vanilla which is also used for the ganache and frosting and only use what is required for the cakes. You used 3 cake pans, right?

Don't feel defeated; I think the way the ingredients and instructions were put together in your recipe was a little off. Try this other one and see how it goes. Please let me know the results.

Also, if you found my answer helpful, please remember to take a moment to rate it positively so I may receive credit from the site. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it! : )

Warmest regards,
Cher