Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 years practicing attorney, Realtor, 24+ years landlord
19958803
Type Your Question Here...

I am looking to install laminate floors in my basement. I

I am looking to install laminate floors in my basement.

I hear there are some types that scratch easier than others. Is this true? if so why does 1 type scratch easier?
Category: General
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
In laminate flooring, it depends on the hardness of the surface of the laminate as to how resistant to scratches it will be. It also depends on the actual material the laminate is made of. For example if the laminate has an actual wood veneer, depending on the type of wood, some are more resistant to scratching and denting. This is determined by the "Janka hardness scale" which grades all types of wood with red oak being in the middle and Brazilian walnut being the hardest at 3x as hard as red oak.
.
The other factor is the surface coat and what it is comprised of. If it is just a straight thin surface applied topcoat, then it is not going to be as durable as a high grade polyeurethane applied in several coats. For example the entry level products at Lowes or Home Depot just have a thin layer of veneer glued to the underlying backer and will have a year warranty. When you get into the more expensive brands like Pergo they have a very thick veneer and then several topcoats of poly or similar materials that allow the manufacturers to offer 25 and 30 year warranties.
.
When shopping for flooring, it is very important to read the reviews posted by others who have actually installed it and have rated it on sites like Lumber Liquidators and other sites that carry multiple lines of flooring. Even though a laminate flooring may be expensive, that is not always a good indicator of quality. The customers who are posting their experiences will generally give you an good indicator of how they will stand up over time.
.
.
Thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 years practicing attorney, Realtor, 24+ years landlord