Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Hi, My 10 grader kid got book list to read in summer, however

Hi, My 10 grader kid got book list to read in summer, however they are all taken from the library, since they are popular ones. What are the other options that we can get the book, like online versions or some such option,where it can be definite we can get them ? thanks
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

This is something that I have seen in my many years working at a busy public library. Quite often the teacher has a reading list for students over the summer (and even during the school year) without visiting the local library to check the collection to make sure the books are available.

Recommendations that I can offer are:

1. Check with the online library database This site will let you search for any title and let you know which public library in your area may have a copy. You can either visit that library and get a card from them to check out the book or you can have the inter-library loan service at your local library retrieve it for you.

2. E-books are quite popular today so you might want to see if your local library offers this service.

3. If none of the public libraries have copies, then possibly purchasing the book(s) may be an option. Besides checking the local bookstores, the website offers the widest selection of book sellers that have new and used copies and you can search by lowest price. I often give out this site to library patrons when no copies are available to borrow.

Common what you are dealing with in terms of locating a book on a popular reading list.

Librarian Michael