SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

My grandfather when top scrubbing an existing waxed floor instead

My grandfather when top scrubbing an existing waxed floor instead of stripping would first wash with a soap and then latter would use a vinegar mixed with water to scrub the floor with a slow rpm machine. Now they say not to use vinegar because it will cause the wax to flake off . Is this true and if so what should you use
Category: General
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 3 years ago.

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 3 years ago.
Hello I wish to introduce myself. My name isXXXXX am a senior informational specialist here on JustAnswer.

Generally speaking vinegar is lightly acidic in nature, it does its best work against mineral deposits and even things such as waterspots and so far as the improve soap scum to a degree.

With waxed floors, the actual waxes are lipid in nature, be that synthetic or natural, the lightly acidic products such as vinegar generally doesnt affect the actual wax. Similar to trying to clean grease, another lipid based material with vinegar. You actually would need something either physically aggressive(a buffer) or something of a alkaline nature. I think what you may be dealing with or at least hearing from others is a result of the mechanical action of the buffer mechanically moving the wax layers around.

Cliffs on this answer:

Light acidic products generally do not clean waxy/greasy things well
Alkaline products are used for grease or wax cleaning
The floor buffer may be flaking the wax just because of its mechanical nature
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist