A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

This is about mattresses and pillows. I am interested in knowing

This is about mattresses and pillows. I am interested in knowing what Volatile Organic Compounds are and the real danger from them by way of mattresses. If I want a memory foam mattress is that particularly likely to have Volatile Organic Compounds. Which brands or models or foam types are the worst?

Welcome to our service and thanks for your question. Let me introduce myself. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help you.

Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) are carbon-based chemical compounds that become gases at fairly low temperatures, such as room temperature. It includes hundred of compounds found in everyday items from air fresheners to most anything that sprays. It's also found in furniture, wallboard, upholstery, adhesives, paints, etc. Foam mattresses have traditionally had a strong chemical smell when first bought. Some people are sensitive to it and others aren't.

I found one company that makes very low VOC memory foam mattresses. If you check at the bottom of the page, there is a link to the dealers where it is available or you can email them for additional dealers.

GreenGuard® is one certification body and that is what you should look for when buying a memory foam mattress. GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard), and CertiPUR-US are others. GreenGuard certified mattresses for adult-size beds start about here:

I was unable to find anything to compare VOCs from one company with another or even one model to another among popular brands and models. In fact models can be very confusing, since the exact same mattress may be sold by different dealers under different names.

Please let me know if you have questions. I'm always ready to try to answer follow-up questions or opt out for another expert.

Best regards,