Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Wondering about the details of how plastic is recycled in

Wondering about the details of how plastic is recycled in Florida.
Hello and welcome. Do you want to know the specific about how to send plastics item to be recycled or the physical processes used in their transformation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought this site was $15.00 a month for as many questions as you like, is it per question instead, I'm kinda confused.

I see a "S" in the info that i am allowed to see, that mean that you are a subscriber and should only pay a flat fee. Some categories are not included on this, i don't know the details about that part (it was implemented because it cause abuse of the system sometime).

The site can also be used on a per question basis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello martin,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was just wondering about how they break the plastic items down or whatever they do with them to recycle them. Just curious. Thanks for your time.

The simple thermoplastic are often separated by colors (because of dye), cleaned of paper label and filler material, shredded and melted into pellet that can be easily sold and melted again as various new product. In can be melt/casted or melt into fibers to produce clothing.

For those more complicated to handle, they use thermal depolymerization to create a light crude oil that can allow back any plastic to be created again:

The same can be done with gasification following pyrolysis. Another similar process is heat compression.

Sometime the plastic is just burned as a fuel or used as a carbon source for different metal productions.