Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

anybody plays badminton? i got a question on how to improve

anybody plays badminton? i got a question on how to improve my smash. i am a new kid in the block. i just started playing few years ago. any suggestion?
Hello. Badminton racquet can only pack very little momentum inertia. That mean that if you want to impart a great speed to the shuttlecock, you need to give a lot of speed to the racquet. Getting muscular mass into your arm will help to bring power and momentum inertia.

You need to have a power powerful torso twist to be able to give enough speed to your arm (first state of the movement), then before that move is ending you need to use the shoulder and before the movement is ending you start the forearm. This done as a stage rocket succession will act as a whip and give the maximum speed.

One great way to train that move and get more power is to trow weight like at the Olympics.

A bit of timing can help a lot. If you can time stepping in the direction of the shuttlecock just right, you can impart a bit of your weight to the smash.

Other details can help. Shoe with good adhesion to the ground (well tied to not waste energy with the foot sliding inside the shoe). sleeveless clothing to not get in the way of the movement. Having a good racquet with a good tension is also a big factor in a great smash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

make sense to me. thanks for that! what can u say about playing doubles. that's the game i want to play all the time. they say, that when you return the birdie up both players should be sideways. and when it is return to you upward the one should go to front if you're not receiving it.

"when you return the birdie up both players should be sideways"
That always depend of your partner and the communication you have with him. Being sideway increase the risk of error at the center from indecision or racquet crossing/impact while being front/back allow a second chance if the front one miss the shot. Playing sideway help to make a more all around good player that said.

"when it is return to you upward the one should go to front if you're not receiving it"
Yes, that is usually how i go about it. When you get it upward you are in a good smash position. That mean the other team should have trouble to return it so it will be in a good position to make a killing smash from the front position (mainly because of a very short reaction delay). I guess that this is what you mean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, sir!

My pleasure.