TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Entrepreneur, Life Coach and Social Worker
64783947
Type Your Question Here...

I was hoping that someone can give me some ideas on what I

I was hoping that someone can give me some ideas on what I can say that would not come across as being awkward or appearing suspicious in a certain situation. Here is the situation: I owe somebody an apology that is 26 years past due. I want to call the person that I owe an apology to and apologize to this person. If I call this person, there are 4 possibilities that can happen:

1. The person that I want to apologize to will answer the phone. (I am prepared for that. I would apologize.)

2. The husband of this person will answer the phone, and his wife will be home. (I am prepared for that. I would request to speak to his wife, and hopefully he will pass the phone to his wife.)

3. The husband of this person will answer the phone, but his wife will not be home. (I am prepared for that. I would leave a message.)

4. The husband of this person will answer the phone and his wife will not be home and when I leave a message, the husband will ask "what's this in reference to?" (That is the possibility that I am NOT prepared for and was hoping to get ideas on what I can say or do in this situation. The reason why I am NOT prepared if this should happen is because it would be kind of awkward, in my opinion.)

Thank you for your assistance.
First thing I would suggest is that you don't drive by the house. that could be unnerving for someone for them to see you or you show up un-announced.

My suggestion if the husband answers and she is not home and he asks what is the reason for your call....I might simply say, I am an old friend and I want to give a long overdue apology.
I might also look deeply as to why now you want to do this and truly make sure it is in the best interest of all involved to go down this road. Sometimes finding forgiveness within yourself might be the way to go without possibly disturbing someone elses life. Food for thought.