Marcy
Marcy, B.A., M.S., J.D.
Experience:  Researcher, Lawyer, Home Remodel Business, Real Estate, Cook
Type Your Question Here...

Hi. I have been collecting unemployment insurance for the past

Customer Question

Hi. I have been collecting unemployment insurance for the past 6 months. I got a notification that I need to attend a Reemployment Eligilibility Assessment tomorrow (Friday).It says I have to bring my work search log for the past four weeks.
It says the appointment should take about 2 hours. I would like to get some tips on what to say there. I have been looking for jobs at different restaurants, but not that many.
Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  Marcy replied 1 year ago.

Hello there

-

I have had several clients go through this recently and my own husband went through the exact same thing. Typically in the past when it came to the review of your work search materials, the state unemployment offices were not very diligent in doing so and because of this, the US Congress felt that the prior work search contact logs were not being investigated thoroughly enough and in the last unemployment benefit extension legislation / law signed by the President there were requirements to strengthen the review of work search activity by each claimant and to require Reemployment Assessments and Career Counseling Workshops to assist claimants and recipients to find a job that may be outside of their chosen career or trade field. Many people seem to panic over this but you should not. What you need to do is have a separate Work Search Log for each week they want to see and show that you made three different attempts to connect with an employer dureing that week you claimed benefits. These contacts can be very simple -- for example:

Week ending July 5, 2013:

(A) Monday July 1, 2013: Computer research regarding open positions in my field - reviewed the following positions on the following websites (and then list 2 or 3 employment websites and list a few jobs where you called each of the emplolyers shown as the contact company or person)

(B) Wednesday July 3, 2013: revised and refreshed resume - visited the following online sources for suggestions to change resume (then list three websites where you can get free information and pointers on resume revisions); and

(C) Friday July 5, 2013 -- reviewed want ad pages from the following newspapers and called the telephone numbers to inquire if jobs were still available.

-

You may want to add a fourth day to some of the weeks and you should give some variety regarding the methods that you used to contact employers and the places where you got the employment information -- you can use a day sending resumes and give them a couple of addresses where the resumes went to determine if you are telling the truth that you sent the resumes (you can also attach proof from your "send" box on line) and any telephone numbers that you called to inquire about employment can be used on the work search log (while the unemployment dept may call some of these contacts to verify them, they generally will not bother).

-

So, there you have it. The process is actually quite simple and easy to meet the requirements and continue to receive the benefits. Pleas elet me know if you have further questions.

-

MARY

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answer. Can I also say I went in person to those places?

Expert:  Marcy replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Alexandre --

-

Yes, you can say you went in person, you called them, you emailed them or faxed them -- any means of communication is fine. The front desk personnel and receptionist may not remember you and if unemployment happens to telephone that particular employer and no one remembers you then you can simply claim that the employer sees hundreds of people every day so it is not surprising that they cannot remember.

-

MARY

-

If you have not done so already, can you please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Marcy, B.A., M.S., J.D.
Experience: Researcher, Lawyer, Home Remodel Business, Real Estate, Cook