Nora, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA, USPAP & ISA Compliant through 2017
Type Your Question Here...

I have been trying to identify a certain gem/stone/shell? inlay

I have been trying to identify a certain gem/stone/shell? inlay in a sterling setting of a bolo tie marked NAKAI. Can anyone help me re this matter? I have photos available to attach.
Hi Mikki,

It is Nora here again.

I would be happy to help you with your bolo. It is marked sterling or 925?

Would it be possible for you to send me photos? A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.

For photos the most successful method for sharing pictures is this:

Go to

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot get a good close-up of the back. It says "sterling" and up inside under the clasp is "NAKAI".

Sorry it took me so long but I was having problems downloading the pics - not used to using imgur.

Hi Mikki,

You did an excellent job with imgur and the photos were perfect, thanks.

The material is sometimes called green abalone, which is indeed the nacre lining inside of a paua shell.

The mark, Nakai, is for the Navajo jewelry artists George and Grace Nakai. Which makes sense because the bolo is a western men’s wear item.

Your bolo dates to circa 1960-1970s.

On today’s market a vintage and sterling green abalone bolo by Nakai would sell for $40 - $75. The insurance, or replacement value is $175. The sale price is due to the slump in the global economy, and not because of a loss of interest in this.

Feel free if you have further questions about your vintage Navajo bolo.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Hi Mikki~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

You can use the specific ask for expert function.

When you post a new question, please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.