A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Hi, I am an American citizen, and live in USA, going to Manila

Hi, I am an American citizen, and live in USA, going to Manila Philippines for a week vacation 4 mo. from now. I understand I don't need a visa. I think I need a passport, my question is how do I get one, what's involved ? never had one before. Thanks Al

Hi, Al,

Welcome to our service and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever is possible to help you.

Congratulations on the upcoming vacation. It sounds wonderful. Today everyone needs a passport. While it is easy to get out of the country for vacation or other travel, it can be difficult getting back in without one.

Here is a link to the places where you can submit a passport application. Just type in your zip code and search for the nearest one to you. Today, someone who has never had a passport must apply in person at a designated passport office.

Here are the rules for applying for a passport for the first time:

Note that you can fill out the application online and print it out to take to the office with you (saves a lot of time) but DO NOT SIGN IT until asked to do so at the passport office.

The fees are fairly high ($135 for a passport book or $165 for the book plus a card that allows reentry to the US from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda). The card without the passport book is not valid for international travel.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Schuyler,

Thanks for that information, can you tell me if and what shots I need.

Thanks Al

Hi, Al,

That would be a Health question and cannot be answered along with this one. I'd be happy to answer it if you will post it in Health.