A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

42 year old female; 220 pounds; 58"; on Weight Watchers online;

42 year old female; 220 pounds; 5'8"; on Weight Watchers online; Try to do cardio exercise; As of 7:51 pm CST my BP is 131/90 with a pulse of 100. / Between June 28th and July 5th I lost 6 pounds/ Have I lost too much within that period of time If so, might be one of the reasons my pressure won't go down. Let me also say that within the past month my pressure has not been the lowest. / What's going on and what might you suggest?
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Kaye,

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help you.

How long since you've exercised?

How long since you've eaten?

Is that a one-time reading or an average of several readings taken over an hour or so?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

35 minute cardio with jillian michaels this morning.

just completed my dinner around 10 minutes ago.

136/90, pulse 84 around three hours ago

The quickened pulse may be from anxiety. Blood pressure typically increases with exercise and with eating. It can also be higher just due to being overweight. Is your normal blood pressure under 120/80?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was around a month ago. However, goes up and down too many times. Tuesday my pressure was around 135/68. Friday before then it was another low number like the latter. I'm not used to all of that.

Blood pressure fluctuates during the day with higher readings normally in the afternoon or after eating, smoking, or exercising.

Blood pressure should be taken at least 30 minutes after doing any of the above, sitting straight with your back supported and both feet flat on the floor. You should sit quietly in this position, without talking, for 5 minutes before taking your blood pressure. The arm used for the reading should be supported on a table at heart level.

Under 140/90 isn't anything to panic about, but you should keep a record of your blood pressure over several days and if it is consistently high (above 120/80) or low (below 90/60) you should schedule an appointment with your medical provider.

The variations in blood pressure have nothing to do with losing the 6 pounds in a week. If you've just started dieting, you will lose a lot at first, because it is mostly water that is lost. After several weeks of dieting and exercise you should slow to a steady 1-2 pounds per week weight loss, which is healthy for the long term.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want make sure I know for sure: The weight I am when I wake up is my actual weight. Right? Wrong?

Wrong. Weight fluctuates based on fluid balance, what and how much you've eaten, amount of fluid consumed, amount of salt in the diet and many other things.

It doesn't pay to weigh more than once a week at the same time to see what you actually weigh. Day to day variations can be as much as two pounds in either direction. So it's best to pick a time such as Sunday morning as soon as you get up and have emptied your bladder.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Will do. Thanks for the great advice. Oh! What did you think of my recent pressure? May it is anxiety, considering divorce and our teenage boys.

Yes, it may be anxiety. Stress can cause a lot of physical problems as well as the mental wear and tear. You still need to keep a log of what the readings are over a week or so. Regardless of what the cause is, your provider may want to put you on a low dose of hypertension medication to bring the BP to under 120/80.

Meditation even for as little as 10 minutes daily can help with the stress. I can also recommend walking. Just getting out in the sunshine helps perk up the day as well as being good for you physically.

Good luck with your weight loss. It's a difficult road, but well worth it. I've kept about 80 pounds off for more than 15 years.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow! What is your secret?

Sorry, but there is no real secret. The only way to lose it is to eat fewer calories than you expend in exercise. To keep it off is similar. One needs to watch both what they eat, and how much. I don't deny myself anything, but I will eat a bite of cheesecake rather than the whole slice. A nutrition professor once told me that life wasn't worth living without cheesecake, and she was right Wink

I also learned that the last cookie or chip or piece of candy in the bag tastes exactly like the first one, so there's no need to eat more than the one.

It would be lovely if there were some magic to it, but there isn't.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Have a blessed evening.

You, too!

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research