Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

Hi, I have a gardening question. I received a beautiful orchid

Hi, I have a gardening question. I received a beautiful orchid as a gift. i live in a condo in a high rise. What is the best way to care for it to ensure that it keeps blooming.

Thank you

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with many years of gardening experience. I would like to help you tonight.

There are different varieties of orchids, and some aspects of care are different for the various types. If yours has a label, let me know what it says, and I may be able to give you more specifics. However, there are some aspects of care that are general for all of them. Orchids don't bloom continually. A bloom period is followed by a growth period, so don't expect continuous blooming.

Water about every 7 to 10 days. Try not to get water on the leaves, and if you do, dry them gently. When you water, water deeply. Let the water run through the pot and drain out the bottom. Leave the pot in a sink to drain. An hour or so later, repeat the soaking.

Orchids do best with a weak solution of fertilizer applied often (weekly), rather than astronger one applied less often. Too much nitrogen leads to lush leaf growth, but few blossoms. You can buy special orchid fertilizers in many garden centers, or, here is an online supplier:

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-fertilizer/Orchid-Fertilizer-FAQ.html

As for light, orchids do best in filtered light. South windows are usually too bright. You can tell if an orchid is getting the right amount of light by the leaves.You want them to be bright green. If the leaves are very dark green and lush, that can mean too little light. If they look faded and somewhat yellow, that is a sign of too much light.

There are many good sites for orchid growing that don't require memberships or payment. Many of them do wnat to sell you plants or supplies, but you can ignore that. the information they give is still good. Here are two:

http://www.orchidsusa.com/1Introduction.htm

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-care/

The American Orchid Society has a section on care that you can access without joining under their 'All About Orchids' tab:

https://www.aos.org/default.aspx?id=1

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you much success.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply. I just read it! I had thought no one would reply and did not check again till now.

I have been following the advice you gave and my orchid did well until this week. The petals fell off. I assume it is going into a dormant period. Someone told me to move it out of the light when it is not blooming.

Should I do this. If so, for how long?

Thank you so much for your answers. I appreciate it.

Hello again,

I'm glad to hear your orchid is doing well. The dormant period can be quite complicated, and what needs to be done depends on the type of orchid. However, in almost all cases, you want to maintain normal light. You do want to cut back on watering and fertilizing. In most cases, watering once or twice a month during dormancy is adequate. Here is a site with detailed information on dormancy for each type of orchid:

www.orchidplantcare.info/archives/orchid-plant-resting-period

Let me know if you need anything else.

Anna

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will do my homework and keep you posted.

You're welcome. Wishing you much success with your orchid.

Anna