Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Hi, Not sure which expert to ask maybe a vet. An animal

Not sure which expert to ask maybe a vet. An animal is dead under my mobile home. I pulled the skirting back and can see it back its either an oppossum or raccoon. It smells so bad and the smell is permeating everything including inside of house.
I tried to get a shovel and get it out but cant stomach it. I live very rual so I have to do this myself. No services in my area to do this. What I want to know is if i put a bag of lime over it will it stop the smell untill it dries out. Also will this lime hurt my cats or dog if they happen to go there?
Need answer before tomorrow if possible as this is so unbearable. Thank you , Brenda
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brenda and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. This would be the correct category and I'm also an expert in the Pet Category, so I can advise you.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this horrible thing. The best scenario would be to have a 'critter remover' do this for you, but if you have absolutely no one to call in your area.......What about Animal Control or a Ranger Station? Do you have any neighbors nearby who might be able to help?

I would not suggest using the lime, because depending on the specific ingredients, it might be toxic to your cats and dog. If you can block off the area and not allow them near the carcass, that would be best, XXXXX XXXXX might try to investigate or eat it.

I know how disgusting it is, but if you're the only one who can do this, you might have to just steel yourself to do it and be well prepared. If you can get a surgical mask, I'd wear that; if not, tie a kerchief or scarf or old t-shirt around your nose and mouth and try to wear protective goggles and heavy gloves--like gardening gloves. Prepare a big heavy duty plastic bag (garbage bag). If the critter is within reach with the shovel, just move it slowly towards you and once it's out just get it in the plastic bag as quickly as possible and try not to look at it unless absolutely necessary. You can also throw the plastic bag over the critter so you don't have to look at it, and pull it out with the shovel, so it will already be covered once you get it out.

Once you get it in the bag, what will you do with it, bury it far away from the house?

To get rid of the smell, spray Febreze or Lysol under the house where it was laying and also spray the inside of the house (without the pets in the room where you spray--allow the spray to dry completely before allowing them to contact any surfaces). Use fans and open windows (if it's not too hot) to air out the house.

Do you have a Sheriff's office, garbage pick up, anyone who stops by on a steady basis who could help you? Any teenage boys in your area? They'd LOVE to do something like this!

Try to get someone to help you and if not, try your best to do this yourself.

I wish you much good luck and please let me know how things go!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, I was disapointed to hear just throwing lime on it wouldnt be good idea, but really the idea of it staying there just seems wrong. Im no stranger to dealing with dead animals as Ive done rescue for years but its really hot and this is very " ripe". I didnt think about placing something over it, very good idea as I think if i can get away from smelling and seeing it at the same time I can handle it.

Teenage boys. ..how funny and so true just that Im new to the area and dont really know anyone.

I plan on cremating it if its not windy I can burn and have lots of dead limbs. It bothers me as to what may have happened to it since i dont put out poison. My dogs have a kennel and I can make sure the cats stay in.

Thank you, Brenda

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Brenda and you're most welcome.

It was my pleasure to be of help to you, and your excellent rating and most generous bonuse are truly appreciated.

If you're new to the area, hopefully, you'll meet some people who can give you a hand next time you need some help (hopefully not with this same situation!).

It was probably killed by another critter, died of natural causes, or perhaps was poisoned by something it ate or by another person who does put out poison and crawled under your place, to die.. Cremation is a great idea!

I hope everything goes well and if you would like to update me on the situation afterward, I'd appreciated it. Just click 'Reply' and start your post with 'For Cher'. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Cher