SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

i chose "relationship" category because it seemed like the

Customer Question

i chose "relationship" category because it seemed like the only one appropriate that's listed under more categories. i'm not looking for a relationship. i have moved to a small town (p. 2500) bellvue, iowa. i want to make new friends but, i don't know how to use social media very well. i want to run an ad somwhere. bellvue is too smal to come up on craigslist or backpage. i'm assuming i could use facebook or twitter. what other sites might i use and how do i use them. facebook nor twitter do not seem to have a tutorial. i want to have a party on 4th of july in rural bellevue so, how would i advertise it. do i use blogs or chat rooms. if so, i know very little if nothing on how to use them. i also have a vacation home on lake okoboji, iowa which is generally a small town except for tourist season (i.e. now). i also would like to meet people and have parties there. i tell you this so if you intend to do a search before answering my question you might look up the okoboji area. there are actually several very small towns around the lake area (i.e., milford, west okoboji, arnolds park, okoboji. all are iowa towns). obviously , i am not very computer savy nor, as i said not familiar with social media so please don't be too technical. please don't use the chat feature in responding. thanks, j
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Moving to a small town not knowing anybody can make things strange as I am sure many of the people living in Bellvue quite possibly have lived their entire life in this area or are just vacationing for the summer.

Some ideas to get the word out that you are new to the area and wish to make friends and become an important part of the community:

1. Check with local clubs and/or organizations and see if you can advertise in their newsletters about your 4th of July party.

2. The same would go in the local newspaper in the area:

http://www.bellevueheraldleader.com/

http://www.thonline.com/news/bellevue/

3. As for sites online, here are some to look at to post your party information on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellevue-Iowa/356289972621

Social Media: http://socialnetwork.meetup.com/cities/us/ia/bellevue/

I would also check the local public library to see if you can post a notice on their community bulletin board about your 4th of July party:

http://www.bellevue.lib.ia.us/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i apologize i didn't make myself clear. i want to do everything online as i am not physically in bellvue at this time. i don't want to do print ads or fliers. so, for example i want to post somewhere an ad something like this; "party in the country, address (googlemap or mapquest if can't find); date; time", etc. so, where would i post this ad to get get the most responce. i opened your links. the first appeared to be a facebook profile just for the town of bellvue. i didn't see a place to post my party. if there is , please advise. the 2nd link i didn't see anything for bellvue. please clarify. thanks, j

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
The profile page on facebook is something you can click to "like" and that should allow you to post the information about your 4th of July party.

You may also wish to register for these service to post about your party:

http://www.americantowns.com/ia/bellevue/events

http://socialnetwork.meetup.com/

If you do not already have a Twitter account, you may wish to create one and advertise your party.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i tried americantowns/bellvue. that seemed geared toward concerts and more formal events. i tried socialnetwork. that referred me to craigslist. craigslist does not have a link for bellvue, iowa. i haven't tried twitter. but, what site would a younger person go to any night they might be looking for a party or something to do in or near bellvue, iowa. is there a blog or chat room for bellvue. if so, how would i find it. thanks, j

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Always careful when giving out any personal information in any chatrooms as you may not know much about anybody that you wish to invite. Be sure to investigate any and all names that wish to come to your party.

With that said, here are some additional sites for you to look at:

http://www.weirdtown.com/find/chat/where/iowa_chat.jsp

http://www.meetup.com/find/

http://20s-30s-social.meetup.com/cities/us/ia/bellevue/

Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX new expert here.

What would you say the rough(guesstimate) number of people you are trying to advertise to is? And what age range? I ask because you could probably spend a lot of time using a bunch of "shotgunned" suggested sites that have zero return because of the people you are advertising to.

It goes without saying its probably important to focus your energy and time more importantly on sources of high yield bearing in mind it may not be social networking that is your ultimate turnaround just because of the locations and age ranges.

Let me know and we can see what we can come up with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

considering the geographic area probably any where from 5000 to 200,000 if i include larger towns in a 60 mile radius. are group, 16 to 46.

So targeting kids and adults basically?

What kind of party, just a casual gettogether?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i wouldn't say kids. maybe i should raise age 10 18 and older. be a large party with beer, pop and snacks, bbq. probably start at 3pm till "whenever".

Sorry for all the questions here, I need to kinda see the limits of everything.

Do you think you are prepared for any manual distribution if needed? Are you going to be throwing the GTG solo? or will other companies be involved. My concern is frankly that I'm not sure how many people who don't know you would show up. Though honestly I would kill for something like this locally.

Let me know and we can keep working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no companies. this is a private affair; kind of a get to know neighbors. this iowa so, i'm not concerned who comes. plus, i got football buddies to weed out rif-raf.

Ok great understood, let me continue on this and I will update you as I go along.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

:)
Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I see that your question is still open, so I'd like to offer my expertise here.

Meetup.com is an incredible way to reach out to people and invite them to get together for local meetings, parties, adn other events. It's very easy to use. There is a small cost for you as the organizer but there is zero cost for the people who are looking for events to attend.

You simply create your group, and add words that desribe your event, (party, cookout, block party, beer, pop, snacks, games, 4th of July, meet and greet) and and other words that would attract people with a like mind.

As a new event, your event would then be advertised to everyone local to the address (which you can choose to hide until someone "joins" your event if you prefer.)

This is also a great way for you to meet other like-minded individuals who have similiar interests as yours.

I've been a Meetup organizer since 2007, and have had several different groups, based on different interests. It's a wonderful way to meet people!

If you have any questions on Meetup that I can help with, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Warmly,
Pam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

weel, i went to meetup.com. without entering any info i immediately got links for groups that are in des moines, iowa where i'm currently locatrd. how did the site know i was in des moines. i don't want to create a group or pay a fee. i apparently am not getting my need expalined clearly.

here's the scenario. if i'm somebody who lives in small town iowa and it's a friday night , i'm bored and i want to find a party within a half hours drive. what site, blog, chat room would i go to? thanks, j

Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
Many websites these days are using several different methods to discern where the visitor is geographically located. The two major ways are through cookies and Geo IP location

Cookies are left on your computer's hard drive by other websites, for example if you visited a website about Des Moines, the next website could read that cookies and present you information about Des Moines.

The other method, Geo IP Location, reads a numerical address that your internet provider provides, and from that number, the website knows where you are connnecting from.

You could use Meetup.com as an "attendee" (free) to find other get togethers that meet your interests. On the top of the home page, click "Find a meetup group"

You put your interests - for example say, "Chess" and then within 50 miles of Des Moines" and click "Groups".

I did that and got a result of "Chess and Beer" on June 27 at Tyler's Place,340 SW 5th Street, Des Moines, IA.

I input my interest was "Beer" and also got a Paperback Drinkers.

You need to put your interests in as a search term and make sure your location is set to Des Moines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i went back to meetup.com. i entered parties within 60 miles of bellvue, iowa. nothing. then young professional social clubs within 40 miles of bellvue, iowa. nothing. then within 100 miles. nothing. then within 250 miles. this would include des moines, iowa and, i know there are social clubs for young professionals but, still came up nothing. how come. are there not blogs and chat rooms for bellvue, iowa. thanks, j

Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
If you leave the search criterial blank, you get ALL Meetups in Bellvue Iowa, that use Meetup.com, and get 17 groups in different topics.

I have been using electonric social media since it's invention and I can tell you that I have never seen general social parties advertised, without some type of purpose such as, Sports (playing or watching) fundraising, business networking, political activism, book clubs, etc.

In other words, you need to make your search a bit more granular, based on your own interests, or you will just get a very wide swath of every age, culture, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i don't understand. you left the search criteria blank but, got 17 groups. how did you get that without any criteria. how do you even get bellvue , iowa. so, please explain from the home page what and where do i enter without having to sign in or be a member. thanks, j

Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
On the top of the home page, click "Find a meetup group"

Where it has the magnifying glass, leave it blank.

Where it says,"within 50 miles of" type your city name.

Click "Groups".

This should bring up the same search results I received :)

I hope this has been helpful for you :)
Warmly,
Pam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i clicked on find a group; i changed 5 miles to 50 miles; i then clicked on des moines; i got a drop down box and typed in bellvue, iowa; i then clicked on it but it would not change from des moines to bellvue. how come; i also just ried clicking on group after typing in bellvue but, only got groups for des moines.

Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
I had the same experience on changing the town name. I realized I had to press ENTER after I typed in the city name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i also clicked enter and got results but every group was from the quad cities. so, i reduced miles to 25 and got results for dubuque. iowa which is more than 25 miles from bellvue. so, then i went down to 10 miles and got no results. so, can i assume there are no groups on meetup.com for bellevue, iowa.

p.s. what about twitter and facebook. i know of them but, know very little about them nor how to use them.

Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
When you set to Bellvue ONLY, yes, you get zero results.
When you set it to within 25 miles, you get this:

Link to groups within 25 miles

Bellvue is not going to have a lot going on, with a population of only about 2k.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i opened your 25 mile link and got 3 groups. the driftless group is for dubque and praire du chien which is about 70 miles north of dubuque. the 2 others were dubuque groups. dubuque is about 40 miles norht of bellevue.

bellevue people in the 18 to 40 age group surely communicate thru some media. as i mentioned how about facebook or twitter.

Expert:  pdheslin replied 1 year ago.
You need to specify the unifying interest that would connect those people, if that's true.

They don't connect just because they are in that age group. Something else in common would bring them together.

Since I've assisted as much as possible, given the information I have to work with, I'm going to opt out so perhaps another Expert can assist you further.

Good luck with your search!

Pam
Hi there its Mike again, sorry about the limited success so far. It seems everyone has opted out of the question aside from myself

Do you have an opinion or any sort of opposition to "pounding the pavement" so to speak? As in physically getting up and meeting people and handing out information about your GTG? My gut tells me that while the "easy" way would be electronically, actually building in-person rapport is probably the way to go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i haven't moved to bellevue yet so, i can't pound the pavement. . let me set up this scenario. your stranded in a desert. all you have is an internet connection on your iphone smartphone, whatever. you desperately need to get ahold of the drugstore in bellevue, iowa because it has the special formula for your much needed medicine. but, the store has no website; you can't email nor call. so, you desperately need to message anyone in bellevue to get to the drugstore, give them the message about your med, then helicopter it to you via gps. so, how you going to contact someone in bellevue. thanks, j