A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

I have asked this before, but I still havent located my IQ

I have asked this before, but I still haven't located my IQ test results. I have contacted my school, but they no longer keep such records for more than 10 years any way. I also asked ofqual, but they don't keep nor do they investigate such results.

May be district records are kept indefinitely some where concerning past IQ test results.

My name was Janet XXXXX XXXXX and I attended The Bolsover School near Chesterfield, Derbyshire from about 1976 to 1983. I attended Palterton Primary School from the age of 4 to 11 also same area as above. My DOB is 16/10/1964 and post code is S44 6LL.

Any joy?

Janet M Gell Thompson

Hi, Janet,

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help you. However, I'm afraid there is no joy.

School districts do not keep results forever. In fact, even medical records are destroyed within a set time of the last patient visit. It's 7 years here, but it may be more or less elsewhere in the world.

If you have contacted the schools you attended and they don't have the results, then you can assume the results no longer exist. They would not be available to anyone other than yourself even if they did exist, so no one else could help you obtain them. Once someone is old enough for university, the results have little importance for the schools.

I'm sorry the information isn't available. Is it just a matter of curiosity or did you have a concern about your IQ?

All the best,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have ME now and feel my brain function is sometimes, if not always compromised and I know I was regarded as bright at school and placed in the A Band and High Flyers. I wanted proof that I used to have such capacity tro boost my self esteem really.

Thanks anyway. I haven't asked my primary school so may try that next.

Hi, Janet,

You know they can always administer an IQ test today to see if your perception of decreased brain function is in fact accurate or just a symptom of the ME. While IQ changes somewhat from childhood to adulthood, the changes should not see a bright person going to a dullard without some specific medical problem.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the primary school may have your old records, but your psychologist may also be able to help you with your current IQ status.

All the best,