Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have heard that Cosmetology and Hair Styling and Design School

I have heard that Cosmetology and Hair Styling and Design School takes about one year to complete, or sometimes one year and a half. But what is approxiamately the total cost for Cosmotology and Hair Styling and Design School? If one plans to register, go to, attend, and complete Cosmotology and Hair Styling and Design School some time in the future, how much money should he/she save specifically for this? Thank you for your assistance.
Hi again, Jaime and welcome back to Just Answer!

This is Cher and it will be my pleasure to help you with your question today.

Did you have a specific school in your area, in mind, that offers a course in Cosmetology and Hair Styling and Design? If so, can you please tell me the name and I will be happy to research it for you.

Are you looking for a 'combination' course for both Cosmetology and Hair Styling and Design or did you want to take courses for one or the other?

Is your goal to get Certification in this subject area, and become licensed by your State or would you like to get an A.A. (Associate of Arts) degree in this area, if the school you have in mind offers this degree?

While you take some time to answer my initial questions, I'll do some research for you regarding tuition prices.

Best regards,
Cher
Hi again, Jaime.

I found the following information below, just so you can get an idea of fees for this kind of course. Since I don't know your location, of course, prices may vary. This is a school in New Hampshire: http://www.empirebeautyschools.com/costuition.cfm

This is the syllabus, showing how the course is divided into invidividual class hours:
http://www.empirebeautyschools.com/cosmetology/curriculum.cfm

As you can see, the total cost for tuition, supplies, and application fee for this Cosmetology program would be $20,545 for a 1500 hour course. Most of these schools typically offer financial assistance, so if you qualified, you could apply for that, and possibly educational grants and loans, and that would reduce/defer your costs until you were employed. Most of these schools also have job placement services after you graduate. Here is more information about this particular school's financial aid available to students, but these options (Federal aid, grants, loans) are most likely available to students applying to any school/program of this type:
http://www.empirebeautyschools.com/financial/index.cfm

It's important to make sure that any school you select is accredited.

This is the same school's information about their Barbering course, which costs less and involves less hours: http://www.empirebeautyschools.com/barbtuition.cfm

You shouldn't have to give any personal information in order to find out about tuition and how long it takes to finish the program in the subject area of your choice. You can call the schools you're interested in and ask what the tuition is for this course and how long it takes to get certified/licensed. Also, ask if they are accredited and by whom. The accrediting body mentioned on this school's website is the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS); this should be what you look for when getting information from other schools.

If you are going for an Associates degree, you will most likely need to take an exam to be licensed by the Department of Health of your state, but this may vary from state to state.

It would be an advantage to know what city/state you're located in, so I can research schools in your actual area, but I hope you found this general information helpful.

If you need additional information or clarification, simply reply back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you would like to request me to answer any future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher