lisalkawecki
lisalkawecki, Teacher
Experience:  certified teacher; educational consultant
20507158
Type Your Question Here...

Do school counselors really serve any purpose? I have heard

Do school counselors really serve any purpose? I have heard that they were virtually non-existent in the past, say like in the 1950s. I have heard that in the 1950s, parents and teachers working together pretty much did the trick. School counselors barely get a student's schedule right in high school; it's a laugh to say they help students untangle their personal problems and stuff. Additionally, in college, all they do is ask you what your major is and then they give you the college degree plan for that major, but they don't guide you. Even a clerk could do all of that.

Category: General
Expert:  lisalkawecki replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,

I would be happy to assist you. In addition to being an expert on the site, I am also a full time professor and have been teaching for 16 years in public schools.

In order for me to best assist you, please tell me if you need a specific length answer,( i.e. word count) or if you simply need a specific answer.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Thank you kindly,
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just a specific answer that answers whether they are really needed, and if it's true that in years past, they were virtually non-existent. If so, why the change to all of a sudden have them? The experiences that I have described from high school and college are at least from my experience as well as experiences from many friends and acquaintances of mine as well as co-workers telling me about their kids having the same problems with the counselors in high school. Thank you.

Thank you for getting back to me. I will type and post your response right now and you will have it shortlySmile

Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O.K. Thank you.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you today. The following is the information that you requested.

The following information is based upon my teaching in public schools in Pennsylvania and Florida for 16 years prior to my teaching at a university.

First, you addressed a few different areas in your question. Yes, the need and the purpose for school counselors has changed dramatically since the 1950’s. In past decades, school counselors were not readily available and were not really needed. School counselors did not need to have a degree in the 1950’s either. The only schools that actually had them were very large private schools.

Second, in the current day, school counselors are greatly needed and no, a clerk can not do what is needed. It is very important that you understand that a true school counselor must posses a minimum of a bachelors degree. A school counselor is required to assist with much more than a student’s schedule. Today’s student counselors are required to help with student loans, student funding for college, scholarship programs for high school and college, all testing needs, such as college entrance exams, and be make sure that all special needs children are receiving the services that they are required to by the state and the IEP. This is precisely why today’s school counselors must have a bachelor’s degree and have education experience. School counselors are also supposed to provide guidance, but not counseling, due to new rules and regulations from the government.

It is important to understand that even though the requirements for holding a position as a school counselor are the same nationwide, it does depend upon where you live as to whether or not the school district monitors that all of the responsibilities of a school counselor are being met. When I lived in Pennsylvania, the school counselors were top notch and many even had masters degrees due to what is expected of them. In contrast, where I currently live in Florida, it varies greatly from school to school. But, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that school counselors have duties that require specific skills and are very helpful. Unfortunately, it depends on where in the United States you live and most especially, what school district you attend, as to whether they employ skilled school counselors.

If you have any further questions, fell free to ask me.

Please remember to click one of the top three icons so that I May be paid.

If you want to request me any time in the future, simply type, “For Lisa K.” before the question.

Thank you kindly,
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What was it that changed since the 1950s that made the situation change from them not being really needed to being greatly needed?

Two things changed. The first was that the requirements for students to graduate changed, and as such, the assistance that is needed was increased.

Secondly, issue such as IEP's were not a major factor in education in past decades. The laws and regulations that govern students's rights have changed, and as such, only qualified indiviuals who understand the new education reforms laws, and special needs laws, are able to intervene on behalf of the children. Many of hte laws that govern education and students needs, in addition to financial funding have only come into existence within the past fifteen years.
lisalkawecki, Teacher
Experience: certified teacher; educational consultant