Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

what variety of strawberry can I plant now in western oregon

what variety of strawberry can I plant now in western oregon that will produce mid and late summer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with over 30 years of gardening experience. To have strawberries produce in mid to late summer, you need what are called 'day neutral' varieties. Some nurseries refer to them as everbearers, but true everbearers have a crop in the spring and one in the fall. Day neutral berries continue to produce all summer long. Some day neutral strawberries suitable for your area include 'Fern’, ‘Selva’, ‘Hecker’, ‘Tristar’, and ‘Tribute. ’ Any variety of strawberries will need time to establish, and may not produce much in the first year. If you can find large potted plants in a local nursery, that would give you your best chances of a harvest this year.If you go with bare root plants, you'll have to wait until next year for a good crop, but those plants are much less expensive.

Here is a link to Oregon State University's advice on strawberry growing:

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you success in your berry growing.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!