SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

When Mike is available I would like an answer to the following.

When Mike is available I would like an answer to the following. What are the known symptoms to having gasoline on your body an hour or less. Besides your skin what about other parts of your body that could be effected trough such things as inhalation.

Importantly this answer must come from a medical or scientific source that is considered highly respectable.
Good morning,

Let me take this in and work on it with a couple of other things and I can get back to you later in the day. I think we basically know the symptoms but I want to find some quality and universally agreed upon sources.

Thank you for the request.

Andrew - take a look over this link and see how it works. Let me know.

Basically this is the OSHA table for exposure, what it basically comes down to is that as they describe and because gas is variable in its composition(their words not mine) that symptoms may differ.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_243100.html

We do know that syptoms of exposure can start almost immediately like in the case of inhalation, the fumes irritating the mucus membranes of the ears, eyes, nose and throat and that these symptoms in certain individuals can happen immediately upon expsosure in certain individuals. We also know that it can irritate tissues immediately upon contact in certain individuals which would obviously differ slightly from person to person. But we also know that exposure to it over time, regardless of how short can lead to carcinogenic precipitation merely because it contains aromatic compounds.

OSHA is a major player in workplace safety and health.

So if you look under the HEALTH FACTORS part of this link the following is listed:

"Health Factors Potential symptoms: Eye, skin, mucous membrane irritation; dermatitis; nausea; irregular heartbeat; headache, fatigue, memory loss, blurred vision, dizziness, slurred speech, loss of coordination (staggering gait), confusion, unconsciousness, seizures; death from respiratory failure. INGES ACUTE: burning sensation in mouth, throat and stomach; vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, intoxication; pulmonary edema (from aspiration).

Health Effects: Irritation-Eyes, Nose, Throat---Mild (HE16); CNS effects (HE7); Flammable (HE18); Potential occupational carcinogen (HE2).

Affected organs: Eyes, skin, respiratory system, CNS, liver, kidneys

Notes:

1. Certain gasoline-induced neurotoxic effects, such as ataxia, tremor or encephalopathic syndrome, have been attributed to abuse (gasoline sniffing), not to occupational exposure.
  2. Some gasoline additives (methyl tert-butyl ether, ethyl tert-butyl ether, and tert-amyl methyl ether) are metabolized in the liver mainly by cytochrome P450 2A6, which also metabolizes coumarin and nicotine."

If you continue on to the very bottom, they cite actual literature on the exposure to the material, which is literally probably exactly what you need, even more so because OSHA chose to use it as their works cited.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the OSHA documents are all I need Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me where exactly to find the symptoms? I can't find it.

Sure thing,

Eye, skin, mucous membrane irritation; dermatitis; nausea; irregular heartbeat; headache, fatigue, memory loss, blurred vision, dizziness, slurred speech, loss of coordination (staggering gait), confusion, unconsciousness, seizures; death from respiratory failure. INGES ACUTE: burning sensation in mouth, throat and stomach; vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, intoxication; pulmonary edema (from aspiration).

These are listed immediately under the first "Health Factors" line on the OSHA page.