SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I STILL NEED A PLACE WHERE I CAN SEE THIS DOCUMENTED. OR COMING

I STILL NEED A PLACE WHERE I CAN SEE THIS DOCUMENTED. OR COMING FROM A SPECIALIST IN THE FIRE INDUSTRY.
Hi there Mike here again. Just to make sure I have the correct request you are specifically looking for a documented case of someone being lit on fire or lack there of because of improper stoichiometric air fuel ratios?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I am looking for proof that if a person is doused in gas they will catch on fire assuming your perequisites are in place. Seems obvious doesn't it? But I need PROOF that this is what would occur. NOT examples.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my reply

Ok i got it. So heres the situation. Skin, because of its high moisture content is less combustible compared to dry clothing and hair.

Initially it would be the actual gas that is on fire until the skin and other tissue is dehydrated enough to combust. The exceptions would be that fatty tissue, versus skin, muscle bone would catch on fire sooner.

A great example of this is fatty pork on a grill or fatty beef compared to lean chicken(no skin) and ultra lean beef cuts. In fact pigs (dead ones) are used for tests for ballistics and fire recreation because they are so similar to human. So back to the meat on grill situation: when have ypu seen beef or chicken catch on fire? Even on an open pit? I havent ever, ive only ever seen it smolder and char. Pork and oily(fatty) meats on an open flame like fatty burgera can catch on fire(the oily stuff can) but the meat will just dry and char. Chicken unless coated, because its so lean would have a hard time catching fire. This is why when you see deaths by fire where someone lights a body on fire, there is always another fuel or accelerant involved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But the hair would catch on fire immediately and the gas on the skin would burn? Maybe even causing a first degree burn like a sunburn?

Yes, the hair would burn when damp or wet with the fuel the gas would burn and then skin would react first degree, then 2nd degree(blisters etc) then eventually char(3rd). First and second(redness/sore then blistering and peeling are immune reactions to the trauma, 3rd degree burns is actually the peel and char caused by the burning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again I need to have this information from an expert in this particular area for a trial. Know any one?

To the best of my knowledge there are not fire forensic experts on just answer. Your most accurate lead would be to get on the phone and email correspondence with a local university forensics instructor. This way they can provide documented information for their separate studies and cases and how they immediately apply to your trial. You could even reference then yourself during trial.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

My pleasure. Have a great weekend.