Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

I am planning to take my family to Greece and Italy next year

Customer Question

I am planning to take my family to Greece and Italy next year for a sailing trip with another family so there will be 4 kids 6 and younger and 5 adults. I would like to know the top couple boat charter companies to get a larger Catamaran, not a mono hull and then also the top 5 islands or itinerary that would be best for kids. We don't want to sail for more than 2-3 hours per day and we want beautiful and a little remote so we don't want to leve from Athens I dont think.
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

What a fantastic trip to take to the Greek islands as well as Italy with family and friends.

As for your first question on catamaran rental companies, USA Today ran an article on numerous charter companies offering island-hopping cruises by catamaran:

As for top islands to visit on your travels:

1. The Guardian ran just a few months ago their top 10:

As for families, here are their recommendations: FAMILIES

USA Today on family friendly trip to Greece:

2. Travel and Leisure a few years ago ran a detailed article on islands that would not have your family and friends feel like tourists but feel more like regulars:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great research thanks. DO you have the same for Southern Italy from my original question. I will accept now because your research above is so helfpul for Greece.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Glad that the research provided can help with your travel plans to Greece.

As for the beautiful country of Italy:

1. The UK publication "The Telegraph" does such a good job in terms of travel information. Here are their detailed articles on Southern Italy:

2. The Guardian has reports on traveling with families to this part of Italy:

I am a big fan of the Lonely Planet series of travel books and often recommend them to library patrons that visit my reference desk at the public library. Check with your local public library to see about their collection in this series.

You can look up your local libraries collection here:

Also the Lonely Planet website has outstanding information on travel to Italy: