Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

XXXXX XXXXXnigan: I need to know what is on the distribution

XXXXX XXXXXnigan:

I need to know what is on the distribution board. I see a resistor and two other components. I can see one with some letters and numbers. I do not know if it is some type of capacitor or some type of transformer? The second component is white and within the highlight. I can't see anything but its outline. I can see the two wires that end up connected to the spring wire levers.

Finally, if you should run across someone that owns this KATO engine with the DCC auto-uncoupler please ask them to contact me so I can talk to them. Being there were less than ten made it is unlikely to find such a person. I would suspect that someone that once worked for KATO/KOTO/MTH might be one source and the other possibility is a rich, older person in one of the top model train clubs in the USA.

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Milton Chris Carris
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know, otherwise, no need to reply. Thank you for your patience.
Hello, Milton.

If you are referring to the spookshow.net pictures where the cover is removed, I think we're looking at something unrelated to the DCC uncoupler - the owner mentions under the photo "...ignore the DCC decoder in the above picture - obviously not a stock feature".

In the tender, though, it LOOKS like a 30k resistor (orange black orange)? which would be 1/4 watt, but I can'te tell for sure if those colors are correct. It looks like together it's possibly a voltage regulator which would probably include a capacitor, a VR IC, and resistor. I honestly don't know why there are so many wires now that you mention it.

Black wires - two wires coming from the back and up - one goes to the white board and the other goes to the top side. The thicker/shiny black wire, although not obvious, is the one that goes from the green board/white wire to the near side of the tender and through the hole you can see. It is the two thin wires that go to the uncoupler, so I'm assuming that the shiny black is the counterpart to the red wire which goes to the power.

I can't really make out much more of what's there except that the square in the middle appears to be a VR because it has one wide pin on one side and three pins on this side - the resistor would go to one of those to set the voltage most likely. That's what I can gether from what I can see here.

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Did a little more looking and realized that some of that circuitry is to light up the "back up" light and regulating the voltage for that would be necessary. Then the current stops after 10 seconds... so I think the uncoupling finctionality is provided by whatever current gets to the wire - something you may have to experiment with, but I think there is some flexibility there.

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher