Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

Can I obtain the statistics on fatal coyote attacks at Valenicia

Can I obtain the statistics on fatal coyote attacks at Valenicia Summit Park, Valenica, CA between the years 2010-2013?

My neighbor said a 21 year old woman was surrounded and killed by a pack of coyotes while reading on a park bench sometime in 2010 at Valenica Summit Park.

My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I would love to assist you. I am a Vet Tech for 30+ years, a General research Expert and I hold special interest in wildlife. In doing this research for you there is no documentation on a Fatal attack on a woman in 2010-2013 at Valencia Summit Park, CA. The last documented fatal human attack according to my research was two decades ago in Glendale and that involved a child. There have been multiple attacks on small animals like dogs that are being walked on leashes or pets that are running free in the area. Coyotes have also been found stalking pets that are loose in neighborhood yards. Coyotes would be more apt to go after a small child or an animal rather than someone reading on a park bench. This is a link to an article about Coyote attacks in CA.

I did look at multiple sources for the attack that you mentioned above including Department of Natural Resources, Department of Fish and Game, as well as Animal Control Reports. The documented reports are generally attacks done by coyotes going after pets on and off a leash, and there have been Coyotes stalking small children, but luckily none fatal, because of adult intervention. There was one attack when a young girl had her dog snatched out of her arms. According to the reports there have been no Fatal Human attacks by coyotes. There have been Coyotes stalking small children, but luckily none fatal.

There are many stories when it comes to coyotes, because they are coming into populated areas, since much of there natural habitat no longer exists. There are programs in place to trap and relocate Coyotes, back ito an area away from humans. Please let me know if this information is helpful. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. The story I received then is a terrible rumor. What gets into people?

It is unfortunate people start these rumors because of their own fear. I tried to give you fact based information and documentation about Coyote attacks. Small animals are the primary food for Coyotes. I hope this was helpful and that you will consider rating my service before leaving the site. Joan