Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified expert with over 10 years experience.
Type Your Question Here...

How reliable is snopes and urban legends?

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Websites as you have mentioned are really meant for entertainment purposes and to generate the website owners money by running advertisements on the website.

Because of this I would not look at it as somewhat reliable and extensive research does not go into confirming legend. What I am is that if you were writing a paper for example I would not just take snopes word for it but instead view their sources and research on your own as well. They do post their sources at the bottom of each listing so you can see what they used to confirm if something was true or false. A site like is likely more reliable as it is meant to be a reference and is not trying to generate income in anyway.

Here is what snopes says about it:

"We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves. "

You may want to have a look at the snopes FAQ which answers just about any question you may have:

If you need further information please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You