A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to make toll house chocolate chip cookies that

I am trying to make toll house chocolate chip cookies that are crispy. The last batch I followed the recipe that was on the Ghirardelli chocolate chips bag. They were way too cake like. Any suggestions?

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help you

Here is the original Toll House cookie recipe

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (no substitute)
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) chocolate morsels
  • 1 cup chopped nuts

The most common cause of cookies that are too "cakey" are too much moisture, so reducing the ingredients that hold moisture will help. It is best to use a dry measure and spoon the flour into the cup, scraping off the excess with a knife. Scooping the cup into a bag of flour can compress it so you use too much.

Butter will also give a better result in these cookies than margarine or shortening. Whipped butter, diet butter/margarine, etc. will not work since they contain water. Butter melts at lower temperature and alllows the cookies to spread making them thinner and crisper.

Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before beginning. That also allows them to spread faster when they hit the oven.

You alos want to make sure your oven temperature is accurate. If it is too high they cookies won't spread as well. Longer cooking at a slightly lower temperature will allow for crisper cookies.

You can try each of the above suggestions one at a time until you reach the consistency you want.

Good luck and happy tasting! Smile

All the best,

Schuyler