Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

In biblical times, Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus Christ for

In biblical times, Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus Christ for 30 shekels of silver. How much was 30 shekels of silver worth back at that time when converted into today's (2013) U.S. dollars? Thank you.

Thank you for asking this interesting question. There has been a lot of speculation from various sources about the value of the Shekels of that time in Bible History.

In the time mentioned in the Bible the estimated value of the 30 Shekels was the equivalent to $30 today. Each Shekel being $10.00 each. At that time a man could but land and a farm with that and he would be considered a wealthy man.

Today the value of the silver would be based on the Silver weight of a Shekel. With this being said the approximate value may be $900 to $1500 dollars depending on silver weight and how much each Shekel weighs. I am sorry there is no definitive answer to this question, but this may give you a rough idea. Please let me know if you need further help. My Goal is 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, Judas betrayed Jesus for what would today be equal to $1,500.00, tops?

In todays silver market $1500. is what 30 Shekels would amount to. But in the Biblical days, the $30 value of the Shekel would buy a farm and land. Anyone with 30 shekels would be considered a rich man. It is an old story of greed over the value of life. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If each shekel was equal to $10.00, wouldn't 30 shekels equal $300.00? Did you mean to say $300.00 or $30.00? Thank you.

Yes, I am so sorry. It is getting late and I have been on 17 hours. My appologies. Joan