A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

HEPPLEWHITE? or Sheraton? dressing table with a beveled mirror.

HEPPLEWHITE? or Sheraton? dressing table with a beveled mirror. Curved center with inlay and shell inlay on sides of center. Posts holding 30" x 35 1/2" mirror have bellflower inlay. Mahaghony,not refinished. Measures 43" w x 20 deep x 30 high. Can you tell me the value and the history? Who is the likely maker? Thx, Jean
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Jean,

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help you. Please post clear, detailed pictures of the whole piece as well as individual close ups of details on an image sharing site like imgur, or you can use the paper clip icon at the top of the reply page to attach the pictures directly on the Just Answer reply page.

Looking forward to seeing the dresser,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HELLO, Please go toCustomerimgur.com/all/

Hi, Jean,

That is lovely. Based on the pictures, the style is more Hepplewhite than Sheraton. However, it is unlikely to be an original attributed to either. Many companies have made excellen reproductions over the years, inlay and dovetailed drawers and all. Some of these reporductions by firms like Baker and Kittinger are valuable on their own. Unless there is a mark burned, scratched, or inked into the wood somewhere on the back or underneath of the piece, there isn't any way to attribute it. A furniture expert could look at it in person to determine if it is original or reproduction. Value would depend on that. As a nice reproduction piece it could range from $900-1800. Of course, an original Hepplewhite or Sheraton would be priceles. It is a lovely piece of furniture. I'm sure you will enjoy having it in your home.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what would you estimate to be the date? I inherited it from my aunt who always claimed it as Sheraton. She had it from the 1940's I am sure and her husband inherited from his mother I think. After we inherited it and stored it , upon moving it the pice was so dried out it shattered into dozens of pieces . We carefully glued it back together with rabbit skin glue. i don't recall if it has a mark on the back. What kind of mark

Without seeing it in person, you cannot give a date. Hepplewhite and Sheraton overlapped in time, making it even more difficult to differentiate a late Hepplewhite from an early Sheraton. It is less ornate than a lot of Sheraton. It can as easily be a fine reproduction from the late 1800s-early 1900s. If it was original and in good shape it would be sought by a museum and worth in the hundreds of thousands. However, someone is going to have to see it in person, touch it, and examine all it's parts closely to determine its age,condition, and worth. I would definitely seek a local look from a certified appraiser for insurance purposes.

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research