pdheslin, Consultant
Experience:  20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
Type Your Question Here...

What is a version of the audacity software that allows me to

What is a version of the audacity software that allows me to export files to mp3 easily?

pdheslin :

Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. The most recent version (2.0.3) of Audacity will allow you to easily export files to the MP3 file format easily. You can download this software for free at this link: Download Page for Audacity.

pdheslin :

You will also need to download the free lame_enc.dll using these simple instructions which provide the download link and easy installation instructions: Get the lame_end.dll.

pdheslin :

After these two short procedures, you'll be able to use File > Export to save your files as an Mp3.

pdheslin :

If you have any difficulties or further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

pdheslin :

pdheslin :

Pam Heslin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thabks for answering. i know there is a version that allows me to export it without having to dpwnload the lame. i used to have that version, but I lost all my files from my old computer. do you happen to know wgich version that was? or could you find out fpr me? : )

Do you need Windows or Mac?
It appears that all versions located at the official site requires the LAME libray to be installed. There is a notice on the WIKI that states that because of patent considerations, they are not able to ship Audacity with a built in encoder, and they outline the legal reasons why (link to page referenced). This is probably why the older versions also require LAME.

I searched for older versions on websites that specialize in archiving older versions of software, but could not find one that I would trust to be virus free.

The current version seems to have a straightforward and simple LAME install process.