Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

How do I set the table for a formal dinner of 5 courses.

How do I set the table for a formal dinner of 5 courses. Placement of silver and glasses

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Expert to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, please. I still need an answer.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Expert for you.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. I suspect the reason no one answered is that your question is rather complicated, and requires a diagram to explain everything.
There are a few general rules, including to make sure everything is symmetrical. The centerpiece should be exactly at the center of the table. The plates need to be an equal distance from each other. Knives go to the right of the plate, with the knife to be used first farthest from the plate and the blades of all the knives face the plate. Forks go to the left, with the first fork to be used, farthest from the plate. However, the dessert fork goes at the head of the plate. Spoons go to the right of the knives.Again, the one to be used first, farthest from the plate. The dessert spoon goes at the head of the plate.
The glasses are placed above the knives. The water glass is closest to the plate. Next is the red wine glass, then the white wine glass, the sherry glass and last, champagne glass. The coffee cup is always placed to the right of the dinner plate.
I'm going to give you links you can copy and paste to your browser so you can see a diagram, photos, and more instructions:
http://www.emilypost.com/table-manners-sub-menu/formal-place-setting
http:[email protected]center/276958/holiday-entertaining
If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope this helps and you have an enjoyable dinner party.
Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.