Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

What is the most sustainable (eco-friendly) labelling methods

What is the most sustainable (eco-friendly) labelling methods for toiletry packaging?
For example, fully recyclable materials, eco-friendly ink, etc.
What exactly is the label material for the following product (click on Ingredients & Packaging to view):
Many thanks!
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will wait. Thanks.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Hello and welcome.

The best would be ink stamped directly on the packaging material. The second would be to use recycled paper.

It is hard to know what is used for the product you linked but from the little bit of reflectivity i notice on the sides, it look to be a plastic film (but some paper can also show similar shine). Because they say "tree free" i assume it is not paper or even recycled paper but something like PLA corn based plastic film (polylactic acid plastic).
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Thank you for your response.

By ink stamped, do you mean screen printing on the bottles? I wonder what type of inks is the most eco-friendly choice. E.g. soy ink, water based, flax seed, UV screen etc.

How about IMD (In-mold decoration) for PET shampoo bottle?

I'm trying to find a method that is completely non-toxic or the least toxic and also ease the recycling process by obsolete from adhesives usage. Thus, less residue is left in the recycled plastic.

By saying the least toxic, it means least toxic during the production (exposure to worker, etc.) but completely non-toxic during consumer usage and landfill disposal.

Thank you for your help!

By ink stamped i mean those kind of high density sponge that let ink go trough. One example of those often seed is when computer microprocessor are stamped on a manufacturing line (it act a bit like a bingo stamper). Any dye from natural source is a good candidate.

IMD is also a good choice but only it you want more durable printing for durable goods (as it is kinda included in the plastic at molding time, it is a bit like if you stamp the ink with the plastic). I am not sure about PET if you mention is in the Polyethylene Terephthalate context as this is just a type of plastic and not a printing process.

I think a form of IMD that would sandwich the label under a thin layer of transparent PLA could be a good way.