Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Type Your Question Here...

Hi Mike. I want to rent a car here in Manhattanfor a day or

Hi Mike. I want to rent a car here in Manhattanfor a day or two. I do not have insurance. Id like to rent an econimical car.
What (is) are the cheapest options?
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

I love mahattan. Do you live there? (not part of the question, so you can tell me it's none of my business - but I used to live there in Hell's Kitchen).

For the insurance, that's never a bargain at the car rental agencies, so the first thing I would do is check to see if one of your credit cards offers it for free. American Express usually does, and sometimes VISA and MC do as well. Just make sure before assuming that it does. Even if your AMEX doesn't cover it, it's worth inquiring to see if you can purchase the Collision Damage Waiver through them (CDW), as it will almost certainly be less expensive than getting it with the rental.
Actually, I just found a VISA page that covers that topic and it looks like they cover it on all their standard credit cards... good to know.

VISA Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver

As I recall, Budget, Thrifty, and Enterprise (in that order), were often the best deals. But you have to check them all to see who has the best deal at a given time. I never had a need to go to the smaller or no-name rental companies because I was always able to find a good deal among those three. They all offer unlimited mileage contracts which don't necessarily allow you to drive out of state (like I used to, to visit family in RI, and/or to drive up to Montreal - a real no-no), so if you do that, just be aware that they 1. Don't want you to 2. Probably won't cover you in terms of insurance if you do - hey, I was young... and fortunate.

Finally, the old standby... I always check Travelocity for rental only if I am going to rent a car just to make sure I don't miss out on any deals from the other companies. They have a nice comparison display of most of the major car rental compaies. You'll often find the prices to be the same, or sometimes a little higher - but once in a while you'll see a crazy deal here that you can grab.
Travelocity Car Rental

I just did a search with the same parameters in Travelocity, Orbitz and Kayak and they were all within about $1 of each other. They use the same search basic search engines so you only need to use one of them.

Select "Car Only" and then put in the information. If you don't mind picking it up at an airport, check "include airport locations". You may find a deal that way that isn't available otherwise.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike. Thanks a lot for the answer. yes, ai do live in Manhattan. 56th and 2nd. are you a new yorker?

You're welcome!

I don't live there now, and I haven't been back in many years, but I did leve on W45th St for a while. I love the place, but I had come up to Rhode Island the week of 9/11, and after that, never moved back. I still love the place, though!

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.