Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

At my previous place of employment, when I started working

At my previous place of employment, when I started working there, I was scheduled to attend a training out of town. My previous employer provided the airline tickets and everything, but people were suggesting that I try to buy my own airline ticket with the airline of my choice because the airplane that was scheduled to take me to training via the airline ticket that my previous employer provided was with Continental Airlines, and people were saying that the disadvantage about it was that it was a propeller type of jet. Which brings me to my question: Is there a difference between a "propeller" type of jet vs. any other jet? I am curious why people were making this suggestion. Thank you.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

A common question since safety is the key to some concerns of flying a prop plane. A NY Times story went into detail on the reasons and concerns of prop planes and noice level etc. They are though making a comeback:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/23/us/a-wrinkle-in-the-jet-age-propeller-planes.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The year was 1994 when this suggestion was made to me. Do you think that the people who made this suggestion to me back then would have done the same thing if back in 1994 prop planes were like they are like today in 2013? Thank you.

The public still has that feeling about prop planes today just as much as in 1994. Some do not like flying in something that feels older and not the more modern way of jet travel.

Here is an airline that is making waves on prop flying today

http://www.gainesvillechamber.com/2012/11/npr-takes-a-closer-look-at-silver-airways-propeller-planes/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What airlines are NOT propeller types?

What type of dangers can propeller planes cause?

As for airlines that use prop today, quite a number still do for short routes that newer jets are not needed. This is because of lower fuel costs as well as small airports that can only handle small prop planes.

As for safety, nothing found that stands out other than more parts on a prop. The mechanism of a prop is actually in a modern jet, just not seen outside like an older plane. Also like a helicopter that you can see the prop above.

A lot has to do with thoughts of flying a smaller plane gets people thinking twice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My first question was airlines that do NOT use prop. If there are too many, can you please just name a few or one or two? Thank you.

My research this afternoon came up with two: Comair and Midwest Express as they have traded in their props for regional jets.