Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

Do you have any ideas or recommendations on how one can sweet

Do you have any ideas or recommendations on how one can sweet talk or romance his/her employer into giving him/her more time to finish a project? If one's employer has already given him/her 30 days to finish a project, is there anything the employee can say or do that might grant him/her more time from his/her employer? Thank you.
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Asking for an extension on things such as a work project is a common experience. Tact and honesty are all critical factors when requesting additional time to complete a project.

I think first thing is to understand how to deal with your supervisor and how he or she deals with possible extensions on what might be a time sensitive project. Only you will know how the possible question will be taken.

With that said, there are some ways to communicate with your supervisor on a possible extension:

1. Use your current progress on how the project is moving along to determine how much additional time you will
need. Communicate in a private meeting why an extension is critical in having the project completed at it's very best.

2. Provide a logical explanation on why an extension is necessary. Possibly say you have been working diligently but need additional time for research and making sure everything adds up.

3. After stating the facts with details, ask your supervisor for possible suggestions to finish the project. Ideas like collaborating with other employees, additional time not to exceed a certain amount, or another solution you both come up together with.