Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Can roses be planted in a container. If so, is there a specific

Can roses be planted in a container. If so, is there a specific variety that does best.

Yes, roses can be grown in containers, but how you go about it will depend on your climate. In Southern areas, clay pots to prevent overheating work best. In the North, heavy plastic works better. Freezing temperatures can break clay, and plastic is lighter if you need to move it to a protected area, for example an unheated garage, after th roses go dormant. In either case, the pot has to be big - about 15 inches in diameter and deep - 12 to 18 inches. You need to place drainage materials on the bottom, then fill with a good rich soil. The following article form Roses magazine goes over the actual planting in more detail than I can give here:

As for variety, don't use climbing roses or shrub roses because they simply require too much space. Most of the bush roses will do well, so it's just a matter of personal preference. Miniature roses are easy to handle, can be grown in smaller containers, and can be brought indoors in the winter, but I've found them to be very susceptible to over drying, so extra care is needed with watering them. There are actually dozens of roses that do well in containers. I'm going to give you a link to a site that lists the best container roses. Just scroll down the page about halfway:

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you success with container grown roses.