Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

Hi....What is safer.....To have my bank statements paperless

Hi....What is safer.....To have my bank statements paperless OR get them via mail?What is safer, cell or land line?Thanks!
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

The internet has made things easier for people today to receive important paperwork such as statements from a bank and/or credit card. There are though various arguments for and against paperless bank statements. It will often come down to convenience as well as safety concerns if you wish to go paperless or stay with receiving hard copy of statements.

Advantages to receive paper statements are that they are easier to locate for a person who may not be comfortable working with a computer. Also a power outage will give you access to the statements. A disadvantage with paper is that it hurts the environment with the paper being produced each time it is sent.

As for safety features that are available today via paperless, here are steps that have been taken by various financial institutions:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/banking/safer-online-mobile-banking.aspx

Paperless though does offer some safety issues as reported here:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100630382

As for the safety of either cell or land line phone, studies have shown that having your land line is still important for many reasons. Many of which are pointed out here in a story published this year:

http://www.hanfordsentinel.com/news/opinion/columnists/preparedness-facts-cellphone-vs-landline/article_0f19db32-777e-11e1-904a-0019bb2963f4.html

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have time to go on these sites, can you summarize them please?

Happy to summarize the information for you.

As for the question on going paperless vs mail:

1. There are several layers of protection by going paperless. The Electronic Fund Transfer Act protects from unauthorized account activity like checking and savings.

2. Going paperless allows you to bank online with protections such as a encryption username as well as passwords.

3. A paperless transaction will then allow the user to receive a message via text or email. Any unauthorized transaction will then alert you to a problem.

Of course with anything electronic, proper steps are necessary as problems can occur when banking online:

Recommendations from the Independent Community Bankers of America (who by the way find this way of banking both safe and convenient):

Use antivirus software.
Don't click on a link unless you're sure of who sent it and what it is.
Don't open an email attachment from anyone you don't know.
Use strong passwords with eight or more characters and a mix of letters, symbols, numbers and punctuation.
Don't share your passwords.
Sign up for email alerts from your bank that will help you monitor your accounts.

As for continuing to gave your land line telephone:

1. Cell phones often can be a problem when calling 911 as emergency responds will not be able to exactly locate where you are, in terms of a crowded place for example.

2. Landline phones have proven to be the most reliable in a power outage.

3. Hackers cannot gain access to conversations on a landline

4. Most security alarm systems require that you have a home phone to connect to.

5. Cellphone conversations are sent through waves and it is more possible for someone to hear your private conversations.

Of course though, with pay phones no longer found in most places, a cell phone is necessary for emergency contact, such as a broken down car or other problems that can occur.